Friday, 9 October 2009

Border crossing - 9 Oct

Well Tyson, we made it across the boarder without incident, although I did have to register my left hand fingerprints twice (to be sure I'm me, I assume). Our flight from Melbourne was delayed an hour but that was better as I managed to squeeze in a pedicure in Melbourne in anticipation of the many hours of walking we'll be doing over the coming days.

The flights were both quite fine (not bothering with Melb-Syd). Sydney - LA actually got there faster than expected (12h35m) but was absolutely freezing. Mark who is normally a human water bottle (i.e. quite warm) was sitting in a t-shirt, jumper, jacket & airline blanket as the airconditioner was on mega high and he was right under it. We scored majorly as both of us took aisle seats across from each other but neither of us had a next door passenger.

We made it to LA pretty exhausted after less than 2 hrs sleep. I managed to watch at least 3 movies that I hadn't seen and several TV shows. I can definitely NOT recommend one called 'The Real Housewives of Orange County'. I shut it down after about 15 mins of absolute stupidity and fake breasts everywhere.

After getting our luggage, we headed for the LAX Four Points hotel and then had Burger King for dinner (our only choice for less than $25 ea) and then went to bed by 9pm local time, although that was the equivalent of staying up for more than 24 hrs. This morning we headed to LAX to catch the plane for NYC.

[Tip for those travelling: If you break up your flight in LAX before your onward journey with V Australia/ Virgin America, you have to pay an extra $20 per bag].

After going through an intense check in process and grabbing a massive coffee & super sweet muffin from Starbuck's we managed to arrive 1hr ahead of schedule at JFK! Must be those winds!

Our hostess, Christine at the apartment we're staying at was lovely and showed us everything about our studio apartment. She's created a fantastic 'locals' guide to the East Village covering food, grocery shopping, parks, some basic other shopping and things to do in NYC that might not be in your typical Guide book.


Our room is the bottom right window!



We realised we were only a 2 min walk from one of the places we really wanted to try - Bar Veloce - and managed to get two seats at the small bar. http://www.barveloce.com/about.html We had a selected meats and cheese platter and a glass of red which was very nice (reminded us of places we visited 4 yrs ago in the Abruzzo region of Italy), although Mark said the cured meats weren't quite the same quality.

2 comments:

Ania said...

The building looks nice but the apartment seems very small.

Most Liveable said...

yes it is small but for US$200 a night, it is far bigger than a hotel room. The location is also excellent.