Saturday, 17 May 2008

16th May - Foodie heaven

Today was foodie heaven, although feeling a little sorry for myself now. It's a multi celebration day as it's Bec & Theo's wedding anniversary (over the other side of the world), it was the celebration for my second anniversary at work (lunch out with colleagues and MD, more on that shortly) and the 30th birthday for one of Mark's staff members from LIV.

LUNCH - Bistro Guillaume, Crown Casino

The setting was lovely - one of my team, a peer manager and I each celebrated 2 yrs at Clicks with the MD. It's a tradition he suffers through (going to a lovely restaurant with his staff on their work anniversary to say thank you). I was lucky enough to get the choice this year - Karen chose Fifteen restaurant last year (which was also good).

Bistro Guillaume has only recently opened in Melbourne and being a Francophile I wanted to check it out. The 3 girls had a Pimms to start (not very French, I know but what we felt like). I chose a Southern Rhone red - Chateau Guiot 2005, Costieres de Nimes which was lovely and Naomi, Ben and I shared le plat pour deux (ou trois) - roasted Wagyu grade 5 rib eye with vegies and mustard. It was fantastic. Karen had blue eye which she saud was lovely. The 800 g rib eye was plenty for the three of us (along with sides).

For desert we each tried something different and by the positive groans around the table, I don't think anyone was disappointed. I had Poire Belle Helene (poached pears with chocolate sauce), there was a creme brulee mandarin, a lemon tart and a chestnut souffle. All washed down with Jacquesson French Champagne - just spectacular.

DINNER - Bar Lourinha, Little Collins Street

For Corrina's birthday, she'd invited Mark and I along with about 24 other friends for a private function upstairs in the Cathedral room at Bar Lourinha. Mark has eaten there for a work function (evening) and about 6 lunches variously since it's been open. I've only ever made it once with Mark for a nibble/ dinner at the very crowded bar - every other time it's been such a crunch of people it would have taken hours to get served / get a seat fullstop.

Mark got to explore a 9 course menu (which is challenging for anyone but certainly someone who's already had a lovely lunch - although not huge, just intense flavours). I skipped the oysters (which everyone thought were fabulous), and the squid but managed the Yellowtail Kingfish sashimi (first time for raw fish for me), rabbit empanadillas and wagyu migas as well as spiced chickspeas and spinach and several other tasting courses. They had La Goya Manzanilla sherry but I discovered it's not really my cup of tea, so I stuck to water and some lovely wines.

I got to meet Nicola (LIV) and David, another ex-colleague of Mark's and many of Corrina's wider friend network who are lovely. Had a fabulous time and really need to go to the gym tomorrow or I'll blob out of such rich and wonderful food.

I certainly am spoiled! I wish I could have stretched these 2 fabulous food experiences over several days. Oh well, smile on face as I trudge the treadmill tomorrow!

No comments: